Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First Ride to Work


I've been in the office for one week now, and today was the first of many bike rides to work! I am definitely not a morning person, but I can't think of a better way to start my day. I arrived at work feeling energetic, refreshed, and clean! I have some kinks to work out in my system, but this will be a good trial week.


  • Challenge 1: Transporting my belongings. 
Because of the hills, any bike ride in San Francisco requires a shower. I have a trial membership at 24 Hour Fitness since it a few blocks from the office. I won't pay the extra $30/month for a locker to store my towel and toiletries and a sherpa is out of the question. Today I used my TransIt Grocery Bag Pannier to carry my towel and change of clothes and carried my laptop and lunch in my backpack. This actually worked much better than I imagined. The pannier didn't get in the way and the load was light enough that it didn't throw off my balance. I would still like to get a better backpack with a proper laptop section, more compartments, and a waist strap to distribute the weight.


  • Challenge 2: Perfecting my route.
I haven't figured out the best way to enter the Panhandle after leaving Golden Gate Park, and this time I rode parallel on Page Street. The ride is nice all the way down, but got much busier once I reached Market Street. I made the mistake of following other bikers. In San Francisco I'm sure I'll be better off obeying traffic laws instead of following the crowds. Hopefully I'll figure out the transition better tomorrow. The ride home will be slightly different because of one way streets. We'll see how that goes.

View Bike to Work 6/8/2010 in a larger map


This map was created using the CardioTrainer app for Android. I'm really happy with this application as it tracks my distance, speed, time, and much more. After the ride was recorded I visited their site and there was all of my data! With only a few clicks I imported the map to Google and VOILA, here it is! I might try less GPS updates next time to save some battery. This app can be used for many other activities too.



  • Challenge 3: Getting ready for work at the gym.
As a semi-girl, definite tomboy, I don't need too many "products" and I don't get "dolled up" very often. The soap, conditioner, and blow dryers are almost enough to get me together. Next time I need to bring conditioner, a combination lock, and something to organize my toiletries. Once I get my cabinet at work it will be easier to store what I need.

Side note: I will use the gym to workout, not just for the shower :) They have a neat stretching machine and the equipment necessary for my physical therapy. It's nice to open up my back before sitting at a computer all day. I'm hoping to take some yoga or spin classes in the near future as well.

So that's the gist of my first ride to work! Check out my setup...



First time biking to work is a success!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment